|Richard C. Ford II|
Richard C. Ford II
Commissioner Richard C. Ford II is a 35-year veteran of the Chicago Fire Department (CFD) who was named as Fire Commissioner in September 2018, by Mayor Rahm Emanuel. Commissioner Ford oversees over 4800 sworn members and manages an annual budget of over $578M. For the first 18 years of his career, Ford was promoted through all the ranks to Battalion Chief, and, before his appointment as Fire Commissioner, served as the 1st Deputy Fire Commissioner, the department’s Safety Officer, the Rail Transit Liaison for the City of Chicago and the Chicago Transit Authority, Assistant Director of Training for the CFD, Deputy District Chief and Deputy Fire Commissioner of the CFD’s Fire Prevention Bureau.
Richard Ford has developed and implemented various fire service initiatives and training programs such as:
• Forms Automation
• Rest & Rehab
• Ad-Hoc/Incident Safety Officer
• CTA Rail Training
• Promotional programs for new officers
• City of Chicago’s representative for the implementation of bunker gear
• Carried out the Fire Prevention Mobile Inspection Solutions
• Implemented and managed the Red “X”/dangerous building program
• Established safety standards for the City of Chicago’s Mobile Food Trucks
Ford continues to teach and pass along skills, knowledge and abilities to fire service members in the United States and abroad. He is faithfully committed to mentoring new firefighters and paramedics, and, the advantages of continuing education and obtaining professional certifications. He is a graduate of Southern Illinois University, holds various professional certifications and is in possession of many specialized training certifications, as well.